Driver shortage, regulatory constraint caused surge in fares: Grab

MANILA — Ridesharing firm Grab Philippines has attributed the surge on its fares to the lack of supply of transportation network vehicle services (TNVS) units amid increasing passenger demand.

Grab made the statement following concerns aired by the Philippine Competition Commission (PCC) that its actions have drastically lessened market competition through unilaterally raising its prices while the quality of services has declined through longer waiting times for booking rides and increasing incidents of driver cancellations following its acquisition of the operations of erstwhile corporate rival Uber.

“We are of the view that any perceived increase in price is not an exercise of any market power, but the result of demand and supply imbalance given the current shortage of available drivers and the regulatory constraint relating to the Transport Network Vehicle Service (TNVS) cap, which are outside of our control,” the firm said in a statement Wednesday.

It added that the situation is likely to be temporary given the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board’s (LTFRB’s) accreditation of new transport network companies (TNCs).

Grab said it would continue to address PCC’s concerns.

“We are presently engaging with the PCC to understand what it believes are the bases for its conclusions and to ensure that the PCC also has the benefit of our regulatory and market analysis, which would show that the Transaction has no anti-competitive effect,” the company said.

Grab is set to file a comment to further clarify concerns raised by the PCC, as it expressed hope the latter would “fairly assess” their arguments.

“Rest assured, we understand the need to promote robust competition and consumer welfare and remain committed to engage with the PCC, the LTFRB and other government agencies to ensure a competitive TNC industry,” it said.

Grab had earlier said it is seeking for the migration of around 6,000 drivers to its platform who were displaced following the halt of Uber’s operations last April. It currently receives about 600,000 passenger booking requests each day but only 35,000 vehicles are available to serve the riding public.

The company likewise stated that the suspension of the PHP2 per minute charge by the LTFRB has resulted in the lessening of its drivers on the road.

The firm has assured riders that it has been implementing various initiatives to improve the quality of their services.

Grab has recently launched its 100-day plan which aims to improve driver behavior and welfare, provide better ride experience and upgrade customer support. ( Aerol John Pateña/PNA)

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...