DSWD-Bicol steps up human trafficking awareness thru youth summit

LEGAZPI CITY — The Department of Social Welfare and Development’s (DSWD) office in the Bicol region has intensified its campaign against human trafficking by holding the “Albay Youth Summit on Human Trafficking” earlier this week.

The activity, held on Tuesday as part of the celebration of World Day Against Trafficking in Person (TIP), was participated in by some 200 college and university students in Albay.

The summit speakers — Winston John Casio of the Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking, Police Senior Insp. Maty Grace Tagtag of the Women and Children’s Protection Desk of Region 5 (Bicol), Assistant Regional Prosecutor Joyce Guerrero, and SPO4 Liza Altezo – spoke to the youth regarding security, rights and national laws concerning human trafficking.

The activity carried the theme, “Better Lives through Safer Migration, Stop Human Trafficking!” It was conducted in partnership with the Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking (IACAT) and its member agencies.

In a press briefing also on Tuesday, DSWD Regional Director Arnel Garcia said Bicol recognizes human trafficking as a serious crime and a complete violation of human rights.

The region has recorded 23 human trafficking cases from January to July this year, and 51 cases in 2017.

“Aiming to curtail the numbers of this crime, this activity was prioritized and proposed for the sake of the youth who are believed to be the hope of the fatherland and future duty bearers in securing an abuse-free community,” Garcia said.

Based on the record presented, Camarines Norte had nine cases; Albay, two; Catanduanes, five; Camarines Sur, four; Masbate and Sorsogon, one each; and one case from referrals to/from other regions.

Of the 23 cases, 17 were cases of illegal recruitment; child trafficking, four; mail-to-order bride, one; and forced labor, one.

The latest case was documented on July 25, when seven victim-survivors of illegal recruitment from Oas town in Albay were rescued by Field Office 1 in Pangasinan.

“They were recruited to work in a fishpond with the promise of PHP5,000 per month with free food and accommodation. However, when they arrived at the place, they stayed in a congested room and were only allowed to eat when they were done working,” Garcia narrated.

Last July 25, the victim-survivors were discharged by the Recovery and Reintegration Program for Trafficked Persons (RRPTP) social workers while aftercare assistance from DSWD-5 was processed and endorsed to their respective families.

“The fight to end human trafficking is an action that must be taken by everybody,” Garcia said, adding that “we need the policy makers, inter-agencies, the people, law enforcement that should be mobilized to address the concerns”.

The RRPTP is a comprehensive program of DSWD that ensures adequate recovery and reintegration services for those who have been victims of human trafficking. It includes case management, where the problems and needs of the victims are analyzed, to implement appropriate interventions.

Garcia added that the services provided by the DSWD for trafficked persons under the program include livelihood, educational, medical and auxiliary assistance, aside from temporary shelter. (Connie Calipay/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...