Duterte chooses Bernal as 3rd SONA director: PCOO chief

MANILA — No less than President Rodrigo Duterte himself approved Joyce Bernal as the director for his third State of the Nation Address on July 23, Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Martin Andanar said Wednesday.

A week after confirming that the lady film and television director will replace Brillante Mendoza, the director of the Chief Executive’s first two SONAs, Andanar clarified that the decision was simply to give others a chance.

Maraming nagtatanong kung bakit pinalitan si Brillante Mendoza, wala pong isyu or dahilan bakit pinalitan siya (Many are asking why Brillante Mendoza was replaced, there no issue or reason why he was replaced). It’s really (about) giving a chance to other directors, this time it’s Director Joyce,” he told reporters in a press conference in Valenzuela City.

Andanar said it was actor Robin Padilla who recommended Bernal, to which the Chief Executive approved.

“It should be exciting, should I say, not only because we’re expecting the speech of President Duterte, of course, we are also looking forward as to how Director Joyce will take it on,” he said.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque earlier said Duterte’s SONA speech will be delivered “straight from the heart,” which will not exceed 35 minutes, since there is no need to repeat what the Cabinet clusters have reported during the pre-SONA forums that started last week.

As of posting, the president’s speech is still being finalized, according to Andanar.

“It’s still being finalized but that was what the president said, that it might not go beyond 35 minutes.” (Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA)

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...