Duterte enjoins village heads to help in war vs. drugs

CLARK, Pampanga — President Rodrigo R. Duterte has called on barangay officials to help in his fight against illegal drugs as he vowed to end the menace until the end of his term.

Duterte made the call after he administered the oath of office of 2,843 newly-elected punong barangays in Central Luzon at the ASEAN Convention Center here Tuesday.

In his speech during the Dialogue for Barangay Good Governance, he urged barangay officials not to engage in illegal drug activities, especially during his “watch”.

“Tatapusin ko ito sa panahon ko (I will end this during my term). Publicly, I will tell you, if you destroy my country, I will kill you,” he said.

Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Officer-in-Charge Eduardo Año also directed the new barangay leaders to arrest those who are involved in illegal drugs.

Año also warned the new village heads to stop corruption at their level.

For his part, DILG Assistant Secretary for Barangay Affairs Martin Diño urged newly elected punong barangays to create their respective Barangay Anti-Drug Abuse Councils (BADAC) in two months’ time, right after their oath-taking.

“If after two months you fail to create your respective BADACs, we will file a complaint against you,” Diño warned.

He also urged barangay officials to focus on cleaning the community, particularly sidewalks and waterways.

Data from the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency in Central Luzon showed that of the 3,102 barangays in the region, 2,837 are affected while 265 are unaffected by illegal drugs.

Of the 2,837 drug-affected villages, 2,498 were cleared as of January last year.

The President, in the same speech, vowed to fulfill his other campaign promises, namely to stop corruption in government and the resumption of peace talks with the enemies of the state, particularly the Communist Party of the Philippines- New People’s Army- National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDF).

He reiterated his invitation to CPP founding chairperson Joma Sison to return home, with assurance of his safety and security.

However, Duterte said Sison should guarantee that his group would stop its extortion and taxation activities.

He also said that the CPP-NPA-NDF members should stay in a particular area and will not be allowed to carry firearms outside that area.

Prior to the oath-taking ceremony, the newly elected officials were given an orientation on the various campaigns of the DILG against Illegal drugs, criminality, violent extremism, and corruption.
The fundamentals of federalism were also discussed.

Barangay leaders who joined the oath-taking rites came from Aurora (151 punong barangays); Bataan, 237; Bulacan, 569; Nueva Ecija, 849; Pampanga, 505; Tarlac, 511; Zambales, 230; Angeles City, 33; and Olongapo City, 17.

Some 92 percent or 2,843 out of the total 3,100 punong barangays in the region took their oath before the President. (Marna Dagumboy Del Rosario/PNA)

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...