Duterte tells gov’t officials to ‘resist temptations’

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte administers the oath of the newly-appointed government officials at the Malacañan Palace on April 17, 2018. ACE MORANDANTE/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday called on new government officials to “resist any temptation” that would taint their honor and reputation as he announced the sacking of another set of high officials.

“Remember, you are pledging your commitment to the ethical and honorable behavior as government officials. You are committing to do something that is larger than yourselves,” Duterte said in his speech during the mass-oath taking of newly-appointed officials.

Without dropping names, Duterte said he had fired government officials, some of whom had convinced him to run in 2016 polls.

“I’m very sad to inform you that as of last week, I fired another set of high officials. These were the guys who went back and forth to Davao to convince me to run,” Duterte said.

Duterte admitted he hates removing government officials, but he continues to keep his election promise to fight graft and corruption.

“As much as possible, I don’t want to lose trust to my friends or acquaintance. I hate it because I know you, they mean well. But along the way, may papasok talaga ng kalokohan,” he said.

He reminded the new officials of their pledge to embody “the highest standard of inclusiveness, openness and impartiality in our respective offices.”

“Your presence here is a testament to this administration’s obligation to champion integrity, accountability and transparency in our institutions,” Duterte said.

Duterte expressed his sincerest gratitude for accepting the “exciting challenges” of public service at the crucial moment of the country’s history.

“The Philippines has been beset by challenges, but what makes our country incredible is its capacity to overcome these and emerge stronger than before,” Duterte said.

“Therefore, it is important that you remain steadfast in finding better ways to serve the people to the best of your abilities. Let us therefore motivate all of you and to all our citizens and contribute to sustainable development and lasting peace,” he added. (Jelly Musico/PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...