PRRD confident Putin will do the ‘right thing’ on Syria

MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte has expressed optimism that Russian President Vladimir Putin will do the right thing following the recent US-led military airstrikes in Syria.

In a press briefing in Boracay Island, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque confirmed that Russian Ambassador to the Philippines Igor Khovaev paid a courtesy call to Duterte on Monday at the Malacanang Palace.

During the meeting, Roque said the Russian envoy handed a personal letter of Putin to Duterte.

“During both officials’ meeting, the Philippines and Russia reaffirmed their mutual support for each other,” Roque said.

Duterte met Putin in May last year in Moscow in a trip that was cut short due to the eruption of the Marawi City siege.

Roque said Duterte has articulated his optimism that “Putin will do the right thing in the present situation in Syria”.

Putin has reportedly condemned the military strikes launched by the joint forces of United States, United Kingdom and France on Syria’s alleged chemical weapon facilities.

The Russian leader called it “an act of aggression” and would leave “destructive effect on the entire system of international relations”.

Putin had denied evidence of a chemical weapons attack which the US-led forces used as basis to launch military strikes.

Roque said Duterte has likewise expressed hope that the situation in Syria “will not escalate any further and they will be returned to peace” so as not to affect the more than 1,000 Filipinos living in Syria.

Last Monday, Roque said the government is giving priority on the safety of Filipinos in Syria.

He said as member of the United Nations, the Philippines is bound by the UN Charter’s Chapter 7, noting that use of force must be a way of self-defense or when authorized by the UN Security Council.

Roque said Duterte and Khovaev had also discussed the war on drugs by the Duterte administration and the Philippines’ decision to withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC). (Jelly Musico/PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...