Duterte to attend Asean summits via online: Palace

By Lade Jean Kabagani/Philippine News Agency

Malacañang on Monday confirmed that President Rodrigo R. Duterte will attend the 38th and 39th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) summits and related summits slated from Oct. 26 to 28.

In his regular Palace press briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Duterte will join the leaders’ summit through an online video conference.

“Dadalo po ang ating Presidente (Our President will attend) via Zoom or computer hook-up,” Roque said. “As usual po, regular naman po itong mga Asean summit (As usual, these Asean summits are regular).”

The 38th and 39th Asean Summits and Related Summits, with a theme: “We Care, We Prepare, We Prosper,” will be hosted by Brunei Darussalam through virtual video conferences due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In a statement released on Oct. 23, host Brunei Darussalam said among the topics to be discussed during the meetings include strengthening the resilience of the Asean Community towards regional recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic; enhancing the preparedness of Asean in addressing common challenges; seizing new opportunities in pursuit of shared prosperity; and maintaining cooperation towards achieving the region’s long term goals.

Brunei has outlined a number of deliverables for the Asean agenda based on the three pillars of Asean community building, namely political-security community, economic community, and social-cultural community.

The summit will also be joined by the Asean leaders and its dialogue partners such as China, Japan, the Republic of Korea, the Republic of India, United States, Australia, and the Russian Federation.

Aside from Brunei, other Asean members are Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam. (PNA)-rir

 

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...