Duterte wants 3rd telco player by March

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte presides over the 22nd Cabinet Meeting at the MalacaƱan Palace on February 5, 2018. RICHARD MADELO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

MANILA — President Rodrigo R. Duterte wanted to stick with the original time frame to allow the entry of a third telecommunications (telco) carrier by March this year, MalacaƱang said Tuesday.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque bared this in a Palace briefing, noting that Duterte had rejected the request of the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) Officer-in-Charge Eliseo Rio Jr. to extend the deadline to name the third telco carrier to May.

ā€œThere was a request from (DICT) Officer-in-Charge Rio that they be given two additional months or until May to award and ensure that the third telecom carrier is up and about,ā€ Roque said.

ā€œThis was not approved in yesterday’s cabinet meeting so we stick it out with the original time frame of a third telecom player by March of this year,ā€ he added.

Rio sought for an extension to give prospective telco players more time to prepare bidding documents.

Roque said that Duterte was ā€œemphaticā€ and issued a warning to the detractors of the entry of the third telco player not to test the will of the government.

He stressed that the President was particularly displeased with the fact that the government needed to buy back frequencies from a company, which he did not name, to give to the third telco player.

Moreover, he said that ā€œfrequencies are owned by the state.ā€

ā€œFrequencies are owned by the state. They were given for free and the President last night was emphatic. Since we gave these frequencies for free, he will not allow the holders to benefit from a free privilege by charging us anything to enable the third telecoms player to operate,ā€ Roque said.

Roque, meanwhile, assured that the government would comply with all legal requirements to allow the entry of the third telco, including holding a bidding.

At present, three firms have expressed interest in becoming the country’s third major player in the local telco industry.

DICT earlier said the Philippine Telegraph and Telephone Corp. (PT&T), Now Corporation, and Converge ICT were eyeing to form their separate consortia with foreign partners.

The agency has yet to wait for the official bidding documents that will formalize the firms’ interest in becoming a major telco player. (PNA)

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels ā€œsiegeā€ claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet ā€œWag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.ā€ As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued ā€œAs you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...