Duterte wants ‘another last chance’ for peace talks with Reds

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte gives his advice to Labor and Employment Secretary Silvestre Bello III, Special Assistant to the President Christopher Lawrence Go and Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Jesus Dureza prior to the start of the 24th Cabinet Meeting at the Malacañang Palace. ACE MORANDANTE/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

MANILA — President Rodrigo R. Duterte wants to give peace negotiations with the communist rebels “another last chance,” Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Secretary Jesus Dureza said Wednesday.

This, after the Chief Executive earlier said he would be “happy” to resume peace talks with the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army-National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDFP) as long as the NPA stops its attacks, but Senior Deputy Executive Secretary Menardo Guevarra said the administration’s petition to tag the communist rebels as terrorists stays.

“The President said: Let’s give this another last chance. He also committed to provide support, if necessary, in replacement of the “revolutionary tax” that he asked be stopped,” Dureza said in a statement.

Dureza said during the Cabinet meeting Wednesday, the President directed them to work on the resumption of talks with the communist rebels with “clear instructions on the importance of forging a ceasefire agreement to stop mutual attacks and fighting while talks are underway”.

Guevarra earlier said the resumption of peace talks with the communists would be subjected to preconditions, which include the government’s demand for the communist rebels to lay down their arms.

“For now, that statement by the President, which is premised on certain preconditions, will not affect in anyway the pending petition for the proscription of certain individuals as terrorists or violators of the Human Security Act,” Guevarra said in a Palace briefing.

Guevarra explained that the terrorist tag stays because in the first place, peace negotiations have not even resumed yet.

Dureza earlier said that “the presence of an enabling environment” will be the “sole determining factor” to the resumption of peace talks.

Duterte started formal peace talks with the National Democratic Front shortly after he became President in 2016 but canceled them o November last year amid continued attacks of the NPA on government forces and civilians.

Duterte signed a proclamation in December 2017 declaring the CPP-NPA as a terror organization using Republic Act 10168 or the Terrorism Financing Prevention and Suppression Act of 2012 as basis. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...