Ebola Vaccinations Expected to Begin in Congo’s North Kivu

FILE – Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) workers talk to a worker at an isolation facility, prepared to receive suspected Ebola cases, at the Mbandaka General Hospital, in Mbandaka, Democratic Republic of Congo, May 20, 2018.

The World Health Organization says vaccinations are expected to begin this week, perhaps as early as Wednesday, to help stem the latest Ebola outbreak in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. WHO estimates put the number of confirmed and probable cases of Ebola at 43, including 34 deaths.

The WHO says the same expert team that led the the vaccination program during a recent Ebola outbreak in Congo’s Equateur province will be deployed to the cities of Beni and Mangina in North Kivu province, where Ebola was detected last week.

It says vaccinations in North Kivu will follow the same ring vaccination method. That means people most at risk of infection, such as health workers and first responders, will be vaccinated first. They will be followed by family members, neighbors and other people identified as having come in contact with Ebola victims.

Tracing contacts could be dangerous in North Kivu’s highly insecure environment. WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic says some of the people exposed to the deadly Ebola virus might be living in conflict zones and armed guards may have to be used to protect the health workers.

He tells VOA that WHO personnel will have to work with U.N. peacekeeping forces known as MONUSCO.

“For example MONUSCO is sending, already sent some security vehicles, in haste, to Beni on August 5th and we may have to use these sort of vehicles,” Jasarevic said. “But again, at this stage, we are really trying to do what is needed to be done. So, the recommendation from the SAGE (Strategic Advisory Group of Experts) is to use ring vaccination.”

Jasarevic says the World Health Organization and partners are working non-stop to contain and stop this latest outbreak of Ebola as quickly as possible. He says 30 WHO staff members have been deployed to the area and more experts are on the way.

He says contact tracing has begun in affected zones. While more than 900 contacts have been registered in Mangina, he says this operation must be rapidly strengthened.

He notes the cost of responding to this disease is likely to be significant, especially in view of the security situation. (Lisa Schlein/Voice of America)

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...