Ecuadoran president declares state of emergency in 3 provinces

Xinhua News Agency

QUITO — Ecuadoran President Guillermo Lasso declared a state of emergency for 60 days starting from Friday in the coastal provinces of Guayas, Esmeraldas and Manabi, which have been plagued by delinquency and criminality related to drug trafficking.

Lasso announced the measure on Friday in a message broadcast live by the General Secretariat of Communication of the Presidency through its official internet channels.

“By executive decree I have declared a state of emergency in the provinces of Guayas, Manabi and Esmeraldas, effective as of midnight today,” said the president.

A curfew will be in force from 11:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. local time in urban areas of the three provinces, where organized and transnational crime associated with drug trafficking has been rampant, leading to acts of violence.

Under the state of emergency, 9,000 uniformed personnel — 4,000 from the National Police and 5,000 from the Armed Forces — are to be deployed to restore peace and order.

“We are going to take the fight against criminals to the very territory where they try to hide,” Lasso said, adding that the peace of Ecuadorans “will never be sacrificed to anyone’s dirty business.”

Since taking office, Lasso has launched a frontal fight against drug mafias, which are blamed for the increase in crime and insecurity in recent months across the country.

The wave of violence has engulfed Ecuadoran prisons since 2021. Last year alone, over 300 inmates were killed in prison riots in this South American country. – gb

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...