Ex-PNP chief appointed as ICI special adviser, investigator

Former PNP chief PGen. Rodolfo Azurin Jr. (Ret.). Photo courtesy: RP1

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet

Not long after Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong filed his resignation as the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) special adviser and investigator on Friday, the Office of the President (OP) announced Magalong’s replacement on Monday.

In a statement, the OP noted the appointment of former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief General Rodolfo Azurin Jr. (Ret.) as the new special adviser and investigator of the independent body tasked with looking into the ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood control projects in the country.

“The administration is confident that General Azurin’s experience and leadership will further strengthen the Commission’s mandate to uphold accountability and transparency in the use of public funds,” the statement said.

Prior to his appointment as the newest member of ICI, Azurin previously held various positions within PNP.

He was the former commander of the Northern Luzon Police Area, composed of Regions 1, 2, 3 and the Cordillera Administrative Region. He was also the former commander of the Southern Luzon Police Area, which comprises Region 4-A (CALABARZON), Region 4-B (MIMAROPA), and the Bicol Region.

A graduate of Philippine Military Academy (‘Makatao’ Class of 1989), Azurin served as director of the Maritime Group, regional director of Police Regional Office 1 in Ilocos, provincial director of Benguet Province, and deputy operations officer of Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Task Force (PAOCTF).

Magalong stepped down from his post amid concerns over possible conflict of interest, with the local chief executive citing the move as pivotal in upholding the integrity and credibility of the independent body.

av

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...