PBBM wants 2026 budget free from insertions, irregularities—Palace

Photo courtesy: PCO

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will ensure the proposed P6.793-trillion national budget for 2026 is free of irregularities and congressional insertions, Malacañang said Monday.

“Gusto po talaga ng Pangulo na ‘yung budget ay tama at maibigay sa tamang programa para sa kinabukasan at kapakinabangan ng taumbayan,” Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said in a press briefing.

Castro issued the statement after Senator Panfilo Lacson flagged the alleged insertions of P100 billion worth of items in the 2025 General Appropriations Act by almost all senators in the 19th Congress.

She likewise maintained that Marcos is opposed to any congressional insertions, especially in light of the ongoing investigation into anomalous flood control projects, which has uncovered irregularities and implicated some lawmakers.

The Palace press briefer said lawmakers, especially those linked to the questionable flood control projects, should have “learned their lessons” by now.

She reiterated that Marcos would not hesitate to veto the 2026 General Appropriations Bill (GAB) if he finds any questionable or irregular provisions.

“Sinabi po ng Pangulo even before na kung meron mang noon pong naisagawa ang budget, definitely, hindi po detalyado ang kaniyang pagkakaalam kung ano ba ang mga insertion ng mga nasabing senador,” Castro said.

“Sa nakikita po natin at naipapakitang galit ng taumbayan na siya rin pong nararamdaman ng Pangulo, nakita po natin na sila ay dapat matuto nang tumupad sa kanilang mandato na maging tunay na public servant,” she added.

In July, Marcos approved the proposed 2026 national budget, which aims to prioritize economic growth alongside the improvement of Filipinos’ quality of life.

Last week, Marcos announced that he had ordered the transfer of P255.55 billion originally intended for the Department of Public Works and Highways’ flood control projects in 2026 to priority programs of other government agencies.

Castro said Marcos prefers that the funds be properly allocated to programs that will provide greater benefit to Filipinos. (PNA)

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...