Filipino near Mt. Soputan safe: DFA

MANILA— The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Thursday confirmed that the only Filipino within the immediate vicinity of an Indonesian volcano that erupted on Wednesday is safe.

The Philippine Consulate General in Manado managed to contact the Filipino, a retired employee of the foreign service post now living with his Indonesian wife and son.

The Filipino told Consul General Oscar Orcine that there were tremors prior to the eruption but otherwise he and his family are fine.

He also thanked the Consulate General for the efforts to check on him.

Mt. Soputan, located more than 600 kilometers northeast of the region that was devastated by last week’s earthquake and tsunami, spewed volcanic ash when it erupted Wednesday morning.

The volcano is located 45 kilometers from Manado, where dozens of Filipinos, mostly teachers and factory workers, are residing.

Orcine already advised the 144 Filipinos in Manado and Bitung to stay clear of the area. (Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...