Fisherfolk rescued after 8 days adrift at West PH Sea

Fisherfolk Rosalon Cayon from Palawan was rescued on New Year’s day after being adrift at sea for eight days, the Armed Forces of the Philippines-Western Command said. (Photo courtesy of Rizal Reef Detachment/AFP-WESCOM)

By Brian Jules Campued

A 31-year old fisherfolk who had been adrift in the West Philippine Sea for eight days was rescued by a small Chinese fishing boat, the Armed Forces of the Philippines-Western Command (AFP-WESCOM) said Monday.

Rosalon Cayon, a resident of Brgy. Liberty, Puerto Princesa City, went fishing with another fisherfolk in two separate boats last Dec. 20, 2023.

However, Cayon’s boat developed a hole in its hull, causing it to capsize about 40 nautical miles off the coast of Buliluyan in mainland Palawan.

According to the AFP-WESCOM, Cayon used a piece of styrofoam to stay afloat.

“After eight days at sea, Cayon was spotted and rescued by a sampan – a Chinese small fishing boat,” the AFP-WESCOM statement read.

“The Chinese fishermen brought him safely to the Rizal Reef Detachment (RRD) where he is currently being treated and taken care of by Filipino troops stationed there,” it further read.

The AFP-WESCOM said it has already notified the fisher’s family regarding his rescue, and has coordinated plans for Cayon’s evacuation and safe return home. – cf

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...