Fishing ban officially lifted in Oriental Mindoro towns except Pola

A photo of MT Princess Empress which was located on March 21 after it sank in the waters of Oriental Mindoro on Feb. 28, 2023.
(Photo courtesy of Philippine Coast Guard)

By Trisha Casabar

Oriental Mindoro Governor Humerlito Dolor officially lifted the fishing ban in Naujan and Pinamalayan after motor tanker (MT) Princess Empress reportedly stopped leaking oil into the sea on June 16.

In a press briefing on Monday, June 26, on the oil spill in Mindoro, Dolor said the lifting of the ban followed consultations with the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) and is based on the study of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR).

“Ngayon araw na to officially kong nililift ang fishing ban sa bayan ng Naujan at bayan ng Pinamalayan… Ibig sabihin ang natitira na lamang na may fishing ban ay ang tapat ng bayan ng Pola o nasa sa loob ng 5-kilometer radius mula sa sentro [ng spill],” he said.

The provincial government has also lifted the ban on water sports and tourism activities in the towns of Naujan and Pinamalayan.

The fishing ban was earlier lifted in the towns of Bongabong, Roxas, Mansalay, Bulalacao, Baco, San Teodoro, and Puerto Galera.

Fisherfolk from Calapan, Gloria, and Bansud have already resumed their fishing activities.

Dolor said they have yet to wait for the results of new tests on the waters of Pola within two weeks.

Last week, the remotely operated vehicle (ROV) deployed in the sunken vessel’s site confirmed that the MT Princess Empress’ tank has been emptied out.

“Ayon sa pinakahuling pagsilip ng ROV, wala nang laman. Yung mga natitirang konti-konting oil sa gilid na lumalabas, ito’y doon na lang nanggagaling sa mga natira. Sa mga openings, sa gilid, pero totally wala nang laman ang tanker,” Dolor said.

He added that the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) has already certified that all coastal areas in Oriental Mindoro are “100% acceptably clean.” –ag

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...