GenSan prepares hero’s welcome for Pacquiao

By PNA

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — The city government is preparing a hero’s welcome for “fighting senator” Emmanuel “Manny” Pacquiao when he returns home this week from his successful World Boxing Association(WBA) welterweight title defense in Las Vegas.

City Mayor Ronnel Rivera said they are working on the arrangements for the homecoming of the city’s “favorite son”, which was initially reported to return to the country on Tuesday (January 22).

“We are very fortunate because our people’s champ won again. So we will wait and will give him the best hero’s welcome,” Rivera told reporters after Sunday’s fight.

Pacquiao, who hails from Barangay Labangal here, was last given a grand hero’s by the city when he wrested the WBA title in July last year from Argentinian Lucas Matthysse in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

In his first title defense at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Sunday, Pacquiao dominated his American challenger, Adrien Broner, to retain the crown via unanimous decision.

His latest triumph was witnessed by thousands of residents who availed of the free live viewing offered by the local government at the city gymnasium.

Rivera, a close political ally of Pacquiao, said it is only fitting for the entire city to celebrate the latter’s latest triumph.

The mayor said the senator’s victory affirmed that the city “is indeed home of the champions.”

Despite turning 40 years old last December, he said Pacquiao showed that he can still fight and not slow down.

“Although he is 40 years old, he feels like he is 25. His opponent is younger by 11 years and he dominated him in the entire fight,” he added.

Popular

Myanmar quake death toll passes 3,300: state media

By Agence France-Presse The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen above 3,300, state media said Saturday (April 5), as the United...

Filipinos nabbed in China ordinary citizens with no military training

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The National Security Council (NSC) has expressed alarm over the arrest of three Filipino nationals for...

PH Contingent lends helping hand on rescue, medical ops in quake-hit Myanmar

By Brian Jules Campued The Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent (PIAHC) on Friday continued to assist in rescue and medical operations in Myanmar as the Southeast...

PBBM cites need to promote Filipino food for ‘experiential tourism’

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday emphasized the importance of promoting Filipino native delicacies and cuisines...