DILG bans street drinking, shirtless roaming, late-night videoke

(L-R) NCRPO Chief PMGen. Anthony Aberin, DILG Secretary Jonvic Remulla, and PNP Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. (Photo screengrab from DILG/FB)

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency

\The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has ordered stricter enforcement of ordinances banning street drinking, shirtless roaming, and late-night videoke sessions as part of its “Safe City” initiative, initially covering Metro Manila.

In a press briefing on Monday, DILG Secretary Juanito Victor “Jonvic” Remulla said police have been directed to ensure compliance with local government rules on drinking in public places and videoke use beyond 10 p.m.

“Drinking along the streets are usually the cause of street fights and even sexual harassment, but from now on, we will be prohibiting it,” he said.

Remulla said videoke use must follow time limits set by barangay, city, or municipal ordinances.

“Complainants can call 911 and expect that policemen will respond to make sure that the proper rules and regulations on the use of videoke in the community are properly enforced,” he added.

Authorities will also crack down on individuals roaming shirtless in public.

“If you don’t want to be in trouble, please wear even sandos because we will be running after those who roam around without shirts,” Remulla said.

The DILG will likewise strictly enforce curfew hours for minors.

“If you are not enrolled in school and jobless, then go home. You will be prohibited to stay on the streets after 10 p.m.,” Remulla said.

To support the initiative, the Philippine National Police (PNP) will deploy additional personnel and set up assistance desks in key areas such as schools and transportation hubs.

PNP Director for Operations PBrig. Gen. Ponce Rogelio Peñones said the “Safe City” concept is anchored on the principle that “the safety of our communities must be continuously strengthened through the focused measurable and sustainable action.”

“Actually, we are already doing the strategies aligned in the ‘Safe City'[plan]. It includes the strategic deployment of our personnel,” he said. (PNA)

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...