GenSan releases P2-M aid for Marawi rehab

GENERAL SANTOS CITY–The city government has released some P2 million for the ongoing rehabilitation and reconstruction efforts in war-torn areas in Marawi City.

City Mayor Ronnel Rivera said Friday the city’s donation was channelled to the local government of Marawi and government agencies leading the rehabilitation initiatives and other support programs for the area.

Rivera said the assistance will be utilized to support affected residents and “help Marawi stand again” from the destruction wrought by the five-month siege last year of the Islamic State-inspired Maute and Abu Sayyaf terror groups.

The mayor said the “humble donation” was also made “in the spirit of the holy month of Ramadhan.”

“This gift is a sign of good faith, solidarity, and oneness with our fellow Filipinos in the glorious Islamic City of Marawi,” Rivera said.

Addressing Marawi residents, Rivera said the city “cried and wept with you in your sorrow, and rejoiced with you as we came out triumphant despite all odds. As you rebuild your wonderful city, rest assured that the people of General Santos City continue to stand by you and will walk with you every step of the way.”

At the height of the conflict last year, the city government, through the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, released some P5 million to augment the relief operations for displaced residents.

The local government also assisted nearly 4,000 evacuees from Marawi and the neighboring areas who resettled temporarily in the city. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...