200 cops in Sarangani undergo surprise drug tests

GENERAL SANTOS CITY–At least 200 policemen in Sarangani province underwent surprise drug tests as part of the continuing “internal cleansing” of Police Regional Office 12 (Soccsksargen), officials said on Friday.

Supt. Aldrin Gonzales, PRO-12 public information officer, said the drug tests were administered by personnel of the Regional Crime Laboratory Office (RCLO) 12 at the Sarangani Police headquarters in Barangay Kawas, Alabel town on Wednesday.

Gonzales said the test involved policemen assigned at the provincial headquarters and other support units based in the area.
The police official said they expect RCLO-12 to release the test results within the next few days.

“The cleansing of our ranks of possible drug users is ongoing based on instructions from our central office,” he said.

Chief Supt. Marcelo Morales, PRO-12 Director, reiterated that police officers and personnel who would test positive for illegal drugs will immediately be subjected to dismissal proceedings.

Morales, who supervised the conduct of drug tests, said the move is aimed at ensuring that PRO-12 is free from illegal drugs.

“I have to see to it that my men, as enforcers of the law and agents of eliminating the drug menace in the region, are all drug-free individuals and role models to everyone,” he said.

The drug tests, he said, will help clear and improve the image of the Philippine National Police (PNP), maintain their credibility, and encourage more support from local communities.

PRO-12 has been conducting surprise drug tests among local police units based on a directive from the PNP headquarters.

Last year, three policemen in the region tested positive for illegal drug use during the surprise tests.

Morales said they have fast-tracked the dismissal of the erring policemen, as ordered by PNP Director General Oscar Albayalde. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...