Gilas vows to make up to fans ahead of crucial Iran clash

By Ivan Stewart Saldajeno/PNA

MANILA — A raucous crowd inside the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City went home saddened on Friday night after Kazakhstan stunned Gilas Pilipinas in the FIBA World Cup Qualifiers.

“I’m disappointed that we did not deliver so that we could make that crowd happy,” rued Gilas coach Yeng Guiao during practice on Saturday night at the said venue, just hours after Game 1 of the UAAP finals between Ateneo and UP.

Guiao vowed on behalf of the Philippine national team to bounce back with a bang against Iran on Monday night.

“On Monday, that’s going to be our objective: to make those people who will support us go home happy than the way they went home the last time. Gusto natin, mapasaya yung mga supporters natin (we want our supporters to be happy), so we will certainly try harder and make adjustments from the mistakes that we made the last time,” he added.

As of posting, Gilas has yet to reveal its lineup against Iran, but Guiao already said last week that Chris Standhardinger and the returning Jayson Castro and Troy Rosario will be shoo-ins for the 12-man roster.

Gilas is expected to bring in a big man-laden lineup with Junemar Fajardo, Greg Slaughter, Beau Belga, Poy Erram, and Japeth Aguilar joining Standhardinger.

However, Slaughter, who was a non-factor on Friday night against Kazakhstan, was not around during practice, casting doubts on whether he will crack the final lineup or not.

Guiao did not comment on Slaughter’s absence in training.

Popular

Palace urges discipline amid crisis on improper waste disposal

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Metro Manila does not face a garbage crisis but a crisis in improper waste disposal, Executive Secretary...

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...