Gov’t agencies ink MOA on reintegration of ex-violent extremist offenders

Officials of concerned government agencies sign a memorandum of agreement in Makati City on Monday (April 27, 2026). The agreement to institutionalize collaborative aftercare and reintegration programs for released violent extremist offenders. (Photo courtesy: BuCor)

By Brian Campued

Key government agencies on Monday signed a memorandum of agreement (MOA) institutionalizing collaborative “aftercare and reintegration” programs for released violent extremist offenders (VEOs) under the custody of the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor).

The MOA, which was inked in Makati City, brings together the BuCor, Department of Justice, National Intelligence Coordinating Agency, National Commission on Muslim Filipinos, Philippine National Police, Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), Department of Labor and Employment, Anti-Terrorism Council – Program Management Center, Department of the Interior and Local Government, Department of Agriculture, and Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao to strengthen reintegration programs for former VEOs.

Under the partnership, concerned agencies will provide, based on their respective mandates, comprehensive aftercare services, including psychosocial support, livelihood assistance, spiritual guidance, and community-based reintegration programs to prevent recidivism and violent re-engagement of former offenders.

The inter-agency efforts aim to provide former offenders comprehensive support during and after their transition from correctional facilities back into society.

According to BuCor, there are 166 persons deprived of liberty, who are mostly from the Abu Sayyaf Group, categorized as VEOs. Of these, 162 are locals and four are foreign.

A Steering Committee as well as a Technical Working Group were likewise established to oversee policy direction, operational coordination, and implementation of the initiative.

“Through this agreement, BuCor and its partner agencies reaffirm their collective commitment to promoting peace, strengthening public safety, and providing offenders with structured opportunities to rebuild their lives as productive members of society,” the BuCor said in a press release.

The said partnership, which was also backed by the Australian Embassy of the Philippines and the Reshape Justice Group (RJG), is in line with the directive of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to support long-term peacebuilding and social cohesion efforts of the government.

-jpv

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...