Gov’t releases P172.34-M aid to ‘Yolanda’-affected students

TACLOBAN CITY -– The central government has already released PHP172.34 million educational assistance to college students in Eastern Visayas affected by super typhoon Yolanda in 2013.

The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) is eyeing to complete the release of PHP227.75 million financial aid meant for 45,551 identified students before the year ends.

Each student will receive PHP5,000 assistance from the central government as approved by CHED on Feb. 14, 2017.

Narciso Candiza, CHED regional office education program specialist here, said on Wednesday the 60 state-run and private colleges started releasing the money since last week of October.

“Qualified to receive the financial assistance are victims of super typhoon Yolanda who are enrolled in higher education institutions during the second semester of school year ‎2016-2017,” Candiza said.

Funding for the program is from the budget of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Fund.

CHED has been releasing checks to higher learning institutions since last week of October this year. Schools disbursed the cash assistance to identified beneficiaries.

Based on the guideline, the schools submitted the master list of students together with the billing and certificate of enrollment to CHED regional office. After validation, the field office sent the list to the CHED central office for funding.

The financial aid covers Yolanda-hit areas in Eastern, Central and Western Visayas, and some parts of Southwestern Tagalog region.

Super typhoon Yolanda is the deadliest typhoon in the Philippines on record, killing at least 6,300 people and displaced more than a million of the population in central part of the country when it made landfall on Nov. 8, 2013. (PNA)

Popular

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...

PBBM eyes different gov’t post for Torre, Palace confirms

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is offering former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief PGen. Nicolas Torre III a different position in the...

‘Organic, real people’: Gomez belies claims that PCO pays for reactors, vloggers

By Brian Campued Presidential Communications Office (PCO) acting Secretary Dave Gomez on Tuesday stressed that the PCO does not pay reactors and vloggers to support...