No deployment ban in Mideast, DMW clarifies

BACK HOME. Repatriated overseas Filipino workers and their dependents arrive in Villamor Airbase in Pasay City on April 3, 2026. The government continues to implement voluntary repatriation for OFWs affected by the tensions in the Middle East. (Photo courtesy: DMW)

By Brian Campued

The Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) refuted claims that around 40,000 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are stranded in the country due to a supposed deployment ban in the Middle East.

In a news release Wednesday, the DMW clarified that no such ban has been imposed despite existing alert levels raised by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) due to the ongoing tensions in the region.

As of March 2, Alert Level 4 (mandatory repatriation) remains hoisted in Gaza, Syria, and Yemen, while Alert Level 3 (voluntary repatriation) is in place for Lebanon and Iraq.

On the other hand, Iran, Israel, and the West Bank are under Alert Level 2 (restriction).

“Our shared responsibility is to ensure the safety and well-being of our OFWs, especially in times of crisis,” DMW Sec. Hans Leo Cacdac said.

Cacdac said that the DMW is closely working with licensed Philippine recruitment agencies to monitor the situation and address the concerns of deployed workers as well as those seeking repatriation.

Recruitment agencies were likewise instructed to intensify monitoring of their deployed workers and ensure immediate assistance when needed.

The agency is also updating its Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS) to prepare OFWs for the risks and security conditions in host countries.

Meanwhile, the DMW continues to implement voluntary repatriation for OFWs and their dependents who wish to return to the Philippines.

This is in line with the directive of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to ensure the safety of OFWs in the Middle East and provide reintegration support in the Philippines.

Since the government commenced its repatriation efforts in February, the number of OFWs, including their dependents, who are back home has reached 4,000, according to the DMW.

The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) announced in a Facebook post that 166 OFWs and their dependents from Kuwait are expected to arrive in Manila on Thursday.

“Tuloy-tuloy ang ating repatriation operations this week. From Kuwait, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the UAE, our One Country Team of DFA, DMW, and OWWA on the ground continues to work around the clock to ensure the safe and orderly return of our kababayans,” the agency said.

Repatriated OFWs would be given airport assistance and welfare check, meals and temporary accommodation, domestic transport assistance to their home provinces, medical support and financial aid, as well as reintegration services.

On Monday, the DMW and OWWA along with other government agencies and recruitment agencies launched the “Bayanihan Para sa Balikbayang Manggagawa National Reintegration Network” (BBM-NRN) to provide OFWs access to services such as livelihood assistance, job matching, skills training, and psychosocial services.

-jpv

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...