Gov’t seizes record high P24-B fake goods in 2018

By Kris Crismundo/PNA

MANILA — The Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines (IPOPHL) reported on Thursday that the government managed to seized a total of PHP23.6 billion worth of counterfeit goods in 2018.

The value of confiscated goods last year was a record high, according to the agency. This represented a 188 percent surge from only PHP8.2 billion worth of goods confiscated in 2017.

In terms of enforcement, 2018 has proven to be a banner year with the NCIPR (National Committee on Intellectual Property Rights), spearheaded by IPOPHL and DTI (Department of Trade and Industry), capturing record levels of counterfeit goods,” said IPOPHL Director General Josephine Santiago.

About 86 percent of the total seized goods in the previous year were cigarettes and alcohol amounting to over PHP20.25 billion.

“Consistent with the trend we’ve seen all year, fake cigarettes and alcohol led this record haul — the formula for which we believe is the firm determination and vigilance of brand owners to pursue these counterfeiters,” she added.

Second highest value of confiscated fake goods were pharmaceutical and personal care products amounting to PHP1.2 billion, followed by fake handbags at PHP821 million, and optical media at PHP790 million.

NCIPR is the enforcement body that pursues seizure of counterfeit goods in the market.

It is a composite unit made up of personnel from the Department of Trade and Industry, IPOPHL, Bureau of Customs, National Bureau of Investigation, Optical Media Board, Philippine National Police, Department of Justice, Food and Drug Administration, National Book Development Board, Office of the Special Envoy for Transnational Crime, National Telecommunication Commission, and Department of the Interior and Local Government.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...