House begins proceedings to tackle issues on ABS-CBN franchise

The House of Representatives has begun today the proceedings to tackle the pending bills related to the ABS-CBN’s franchise.

During the hearing conducted by the House Committee on Legislative Franchises this morning, Chairman Franz Alvarez announced that the Committee encourages the different stakeholders, concerned individuals or groups to submit their position papers to support or oppose the ABS-CBN’s franchise renewal.

“Pagkatapos po ng konsultasyon ko kay Speaker Cayetano at iba pang miyembro ng liderato, napagkasunduan po naming umpisahan na ngayong araw ang proceedings,” said Alvarez earlier in an interview with a morning program.

“Witnesses and resource persons will be summoned after all position papers have been carefully studied and all issues have been threshed out at the Committee level,” he said.

“We assure the public that the Committee will take into consideration all the position papers officially submitted to the Committee and study them even during session break,” Vice Chairperson Antonio “Tonypet” Albano added.

Meanwhile, the House, together with the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC), is coordinating with the Department of Justice (DOJ) for legal opinion on whether or not the network can continue its broadcast operations beyond the duration of its license until the Congress finishes deliberations.

“May mga precedent na din kasi ang ganitong sitwasyon kung saan hinayaan ng NTC na magpatuloy ung operations ng network – tulad na lang ng GMA, Radyo Veritas, at PT&T – habang nasa hearing ung expired franchise nila,” said Alvarez.

In line with the current hearing in the Senate on the ABSCBN franchise, he also reiterated that the Speaker and the House members respect the Senate’s decision to conduct its own public hearing on the matter ahead of the Lower House.

“Tulad ng sabi ni Speaker Cayetano, Congress is committed to fulfill our constitutional mandate to provide a fair and impartial hearing where everyone po – yung mga pabor at kontra – sa panukalang ito ay mabibigyan ng pagkakataon magsalita at mapakinggan,” he said.

Three other franchise renewal bids were approved by the Committee today, namely for the Bayan Telecommunications Inc., the Tandag Electric and Telephone Company, Inc., and the Caceres Broadcasting Corporation.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...