House extends availability of funds for martial law victims

MANILA — The House of Representatives on Tuesday adopted a joint resolution seeking to extend the period of availability of funds for victims of human rights violations during the Marcos regime until December this year.

The lower chamber passed through voice voting House Joint Resolution No. 26, filed by Bayan Muna Rep. Carlos Zarate, to ensure that all legitimate claimants under the Human Rights Victims Reparation and Recognition Act will be able to get their monetary reparations, particularly those who were issued with checks by the Landbank of the Philippines.

The resolution authorizes the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) to administer the distribution of the funds to qualified victims, their heirs, or representatives.

The Human Rights Victims’ Claims Board (HRVCB), which is mandated to process claims and distribute the financial reparation for victims of human rights violation during the Marcos martial rule, has ceased to function since its sunset on May 12, 2018.

According to the resolution, only 11,103 legitimate claimants out of more than 75,000 applicants had been approved by the HRCVB as of May 11, 2018.

However, the HRVCB was only able to completely resolve the 6,737 appeals on May 6, 2018, or six days before the expiry of its existence.

The checks issued by the HRVCB for the human rights victims have validity of only three months.

As of June 28, the HRCVB account with the Landbank of the Philippines reported a balance of PHP792.628 million. The funds shall be maintained until August 11, 2018, after which the balance will be reverted to the Bureau of Treasury.

“Without immediate intervention, many human rights victims will be denied the monetary reparation, intended for them,” Zarate said.

“While no amount of monetary reparation will restore lost lives, properties, broken relations and dreams of the human rights victims and their families, the reparation is important for them, as it forms part of the overall recognition of the reality of human rights violations and their immeasurable suffering under the Marcos regime,” he added.

The amount of PHP10 billion was allotted for the reparation of the human rights victims. (Filane Mikee Cervantes/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...