Hundreds more evacuated as La Palma lava changes path

Anadolu Agency

OVIEDO, Spain – Authorities on the Spanish island of La Palma ordered around 750 residents to evacuate their homes on Tuesday (Oct. 12), as a river of lava threatens to engulf more neighborhoods.

The volcanic eruption has already forced 6,000 people from their homes on the island, but a new stream of molten lava that the volcano unleashed on Saturday (Oct. 9) is slowly moving toward more areas in the municipality of Los Llanos de Aridane.

READ MORE: Destructive new rivers of lava burst from Spain’s La Palma volcano

Residents were given six hours to grab their pets and most important possessions and move to a safer area.

This new stream of lava has already decimated a nearby industrial area. On Monday, around 3,500 people were told to stay indoors due to the toxic gases produced by the lava coming into contact with a cement factory.

The La Cumbre volcano has been spewing lava since Sept. 19, and experts say it shows no signs of stopping.

Seismic activity remains high, with Spain’s National Geographic Institute (IGN) reporting 64 earthquakes in a matter of hours, the strongest of which had a magnitude of 4.1.

So far, the volcano has destroyed more than 1,200 buildings and nearly 600 hectares of land. (Anadolu) – bny

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...