Ilocos Norte exec calls for strict monitoring of aggregates

LAOAG CITY—The Sangguniang Panlalawigan (Provincial Board) has called for the cooperation of all stakeholders to help prevent mineral theft in Ilocos Norte.

Provincial Board member Vicentito Lazo reiterated Thursday that all quarry sites and the names of contractors should be identified to monitor the volume of aggregates used in various infrastructure projects in the province.

As this developed, the board requested the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) in the first and second engineering districts of Ilocos Norte to submit a complete list of infrastructure projects and to furnish it with data on the specific volume of aggregates needed in these projects.

Lazo said this would make it easier for them to monitor the implementation of the quarry ordinance passed in 2017.

As dredging of rivers is also a form of quarrying based on the quarry ordinance, the DPWH was also made to explain where it puts the sand.

Assistant District Engineer Richard Ragasa of the Ilocos Norte first engineering district reported that the dredging of the Bacarra river covering barangays 8 and Cabaruan at the cost of PHP40 million, already began last February.

Ragasa clarified that the aggregates being dredged from the river are not being taken out for construction but will be put to another site on the same river bed.

Lazo underscored that based on the newly amended quarry ordinance, before a river dredging activity takes place, the project implementor should first seek endorsement from the provincial board.

The strict implementation of the quarry ordinance is sought by provincial legislators after the collection of quarry fees significantly declined over the past six years amid increasing infrastructure projects.

In a related development, at least two municipal resolutions requesting for river dredging in Vintar and Badoc had been declared invalid for lack of endorsement from the Provincial Board. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...