Iloilo City allots P608-K for employment of students

ILOILO CITY — The city government here is ready with its PHP608,180 budget for the implementation of the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) this year.

Maria Elena Benitez, head of Iloilo City’s Public Employment Service Office (PESO), said Wednesday the program is intended for children of indigent families, preferably those who are school-based so they could use their salary when they enroll in the next school year.

PESO is in the process of screening applicants for the program.

Benitez said applicants are required to bring with them the income tax returns of their parents and their voter’s registration to make sure they are residents of this city.

Passers will undergo an orientation on April 11 and will start work on April 16, she said.

They will be required to render work for 20 days and will receive a daily salary of PHP323, which is equivalent to the daily minimum wage in Western Visayas.

Of the amount, 60 percent will be paid by the city government and 40 percent by the Department of Labor and Employment upon submission of requirements.

Benitez said the students will be assigned in various offices of city hall, while those to be assigned at PESO will be deployed to the barangays.

She expressed hope that as students learn from the offices where they will be assigned, they will also “value” their hard-earned money.

The PESO chief added that the program’s aim is for them to have money to spend in the next school year.

The PESO has yet to determine the number of recipients of the program although last year, more than 200 indigent students benefited from it.

The fund for this year’s SPES was incorporated in the Supplemental Budget Number 1 that was approved by the Sangguniang Panlungsod last Tuesday. (Perla Lena/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...