Ilonggo farmers now produce Korean rice variety

ILOILO CITY — Farmers belonging to the Sinibaan Farmers Association in Dingle, Iloilo are now producing Korean rice, following the successful trial facilitated by the Western Visayas Integrated Agricultural Research Center (WESVIARC) in Hamungaya, Jaro and the Korean Program International Agriculture (KOPIA).

Dingle Municipal Agriculturist Marfe Quinlat on Monday said their municipality, being a rice-producing town, is chosen as benefactor of the three-year program that was supposed to end in December 2017, but has been extended for another three years.

Of the more or less 10 Korean rice varieties that were tested, only “Milyang 23” has prospered.

Quinlat said the “milling recovery is good and the eating quality, especially, is very good”.

During the second cropping season, the Sinibaan Farmers Association was able to produce five metric tons from the 20 hectares planted with the said variety. However, its production is not competitive with the local variety, which is between seven to eight metric tons.

The second cropping season started from August to September 2017. Harvest began from November of the same year.

With the high production, farmers were able to penetrate the Korean market, especially that they have Korean partners in the city, Quinlat said.

Also, they were able to penetrate the Boracay market frequented by Korean tourists.

Last week, another variety — MS 11 — now registered as NSIC 170, was planted by the Sinibaan Farmers Association.

In addition to th rice varieties, KOPIA also provided the association with equipment and other farm implements.

On March 13, a PHP1.1-million worth of farm machineries and implements were released to the association, including a mechanical riding-type rice transplanter.

Since 2015, Dingle has also been consistently sending farmers to Korea to attend training. (Perla Lena/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...