Malacañang kicks off ‘Yolanda’ project consultation

TACLOBAN CITY — The Office of the President has renewed its promise to address all the needs of Super Typhoon Yolanda survivors that have not been addressed in more than four years.

Presidential Assistant Wendel Avisado, the official assigned by President Rodrigo R. Duterte to oversee post-“Yolanda” rehabilitation efforts, said the implementation is not perfect but the central government is doing its best.

“We promise that we will find solutions to all your concerns, such as the lack of water, electricity connection, drainage system, and livelihood,” Avisado said during the first round of the grassroots consultation held at a relocation site in San Isidro village here Monday.

“Rest assured that we will bring your concerns to President Duterte. His directive to me is to be mindful of your needs and continue to support relocated families,” he added.

On the concern on water, he said they have been coordinating with the Local Water Utilities Administration to fast-track the long-delayed PHP565-million water supply project for resettlement sites after failure of biddings.

With the city taking control of the Leyte Metropolitan Water District, the official is positive it would be easier to address the short- and medium-term water needs of families.

The national government will also provide subsidy to facilitate the connection of electricity to houses built by the National Housing Authority.

“For livelihood, we don’t have to put up factories, but focus on improving the production of home-based industries. Government agencies are here to enhance your product and link with the market,” said Avisado.

Mayor Cristina Romualdez thanked Duterte for hastening the transfer of families from danger zones to permanent relocation sites in the northern part of the city since his first visit here late 2016.

“This means a lot to us that key officials are here to find solutions to all these many problems,” Romualdez said.

The first leg of the series of consultations was held in relocation sites in Tacloban City on March 19-20.

It will be followed by dialogues in Guiuan, Eastern Samar (April 3); Balangiga, Eastern Samar (April 4); Basey, Samar (April 10); Carigara, Leyte (April 11); Isabel, Leyte (April 12); Naval, Biliran (April 17); and Silago, Southern Leyte (April 19).

The activity gathers issues and concerns encountered by survivors in resettlement sites and convene concerned government agencies to identify interventions that will ensure sustainability of resettlement projects and improve their quality of life.

After the consultation, the Office of the President expects to formulate the multi-year post-resettlement program for submission and approval of the President and the inter-agency task force.

The consultation, which was recently completed in Western Visayas, includes reporting of the status of projects for every cluster, open forum, and ocular inspection of resettlement sites.
The central government has already released PHP146.15 billion for areas ravaged by the 2013 monster typhoon as of end of last year. (Sarwell Meniano/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...