Iran’s FM: No renegotiating nuclear deal

In this footage made available by the Iranian Government via YouTube on May 3, 2018, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif delivers a message, in Tehran. (Photo Courtesy of AP)

Iran’s foreign minister said Thursday Iran will not renegotiate a 2015 nuclear agreement with world powers. The statement was made days before President Donald Trump’s deadline to decide if the U.S. will remain in the agreement.

“We will neither outsource our security nor will we renegotiate or add onto a deal we have already implemented in good faith,” Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on YouTube.

Trump has said he will pull out of the pact if amendments are not made, including a proposal to limit Iran’s ballistic missile program, which Iran has maintained is a defensive deterrent.

Meanwhile, a foreign policy advisor to Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warned Thursday Iran would withdraw from the deal if Trump follows through on his threat to pull out of the accord.

Ali Akbar Velayati said on Iran’s state television website, “If the United States withdraws from the nuclear deal, then we will not stay in it.”

Velayati warned against any attempts to renegotiate in exchange for sanctions relief, saying, “Iran accepts the nuclear agreement as it has been prepared and will not accept adding or removing anything.”

There was no immediate response to the comments from the Trump administration.

The three European countries that signed the agreement, Britain, France and Germany, have repeatedly tried to persuade Trump not to withdraw.

China and Russia also signed the deal. All of the signatory countries are members of the United Nations Security Council. | via Voice of America

 

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...