Lacson bares pattern in ‘systemic’ flood control anomalies

OPENING THE FLOODGATES. Senator Panfilo Lacson reveals “systemic” corruption in the flood control projects implemented in the country during his privilege speech at the Senate plenary on Wednesday (Aug. 20, 2025). Lacson said that following his office’s investigation, patterns show that irregularities were committed through congressional insertions in the national budget and then channelled to anomalous projects. (Photo courtesy: Office of Sen. Lacson FB)

By Wilnard Bacelonia | Philippine News Agency

Senator Panfilo Lacson on Wednesday bared a recurring pattern of “systemic” corruption in the country’s flood control projects.

In a privilege speech, Lacson said more than P1.9 trillion has been allocated for flood control since 2011, including over P1 trillion in the past three years. Yet, many communities remain flooded because projects were either defective, overpriced, or never built.

Lacson said the anomalies in flood control projects follow a pattern: funds are inserted into the national budget, then channeled to projects that are either overpriced, repeatedly repaired to justify ballooning costs, poorly built and quickly damaged, or never constructed at all.

“Halos pare-pareho ang pattern kung paano minamasaker ng mga kawatan ang pondo ng bayan,” Lacson said.

Among the cases flagged were the Candaba flood control in Pampanga; the Bauang River Basin in La Union; and Naujan, Oriental Mindoro.

In Pampanga, a flood control project that initially cost P20 million ballooned to P274 million after repeated repairs were awarded to the same contractor.

In La Union, the allocation for the Bauang River Basin surged from P100 million in the 2024 National Expenditure Program to nearly P1.6 billion in the final budget due to congressional insertions.

In Naujan, Oriental Mindoro, almost P19 billion in flood control funds was allocated in over three years, with some dikes collapsing shortly after completion and a P193-million project later found to be non-existent. 

In Bulacan, Lacson said at least 30 “ghost projects” where funds were released but no construction was undertaken.

He noted that this cycle is enabled by collusion among contractors, local officials, and syndicates within the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).

Lacson added that engineers and contractors are ready to testify on syndicates inside the DPWH if given protection.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...