Leyte eyes near completion of P70-M sports center rehab

PALO, Leyte — The PHP70-million rehabilitation work on the Leyte Sports Development Center (LSDC) after it was badly damaged by Super Typhoon Yolanda, will be completed in June.

“We are very hopeful that repair works would be finished before the city’s fiesta on June 30 since the LSDC would be the venue for dance rituals and competition of the provincial government-sponsored Pintados-Kasadyaan Festival,” Leyte Governor Leopoldo Dominico Petilla said Tuesday.

The project, being implemented by the Department of Public Works and Highways with funding support from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, covers the repair of roofing, bleachers, track and field, and swimming pool, Petilla said.

The project began late last year.

Aside from being tapped as a site for special events, the complex also houses the Leyte Sports Academy, envisioned to look for sports scholars.

The center was the main venue when the provincial government hosted the national school-based sports event Palarong Pambansa in 2009.

The sports complex also served as the command center after the 2013 killer typhoon by the national government, international non-government organizations led by the United Nations, and military forces from different countries. (Roel Amazona/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...