Lotto ops resumption ensures proper UHC implementation: Angara

By Filane Mikee Cervantes/Philippine News Agency

Senator Sonny Angara

MANILA – Senator Sonny Angara on Wednesday thanked President Rodrigo Duterte for lifting the suspension of lotto operations of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) as it would ensure the proper implementation of the Universal Health Care Act and other government programs.

Nagpapasalamat tayo sa desisyon ng Pangulo na ipagpatuloy na ang operasyon ng lotto. (We are thankful for the President’s decision to continue Lotto operations),” Angara said in a statement.

Wala nang panganib na magkaka aberya ang pagsasatupad ngUniversal Health Care Act at iba pang mga programa ng gobyerno para sa ating mga kababayan dahil sa kakulangan ng pondo (There is no more cause for concern that will hinder the implementation of the Universal Health Care Act and other government programs due to insufficient funding),” he added.

The senator also noted that several lotto operators and thousands of workers would be spared from the possible effects of shutting down the operations of the popular automated game.

Hindi na din kailangan mamuroblema pa ang mga operators ng lotto outlets at ang libo libong empleyado nila kung saan nila kukunin ang pang araw araw nila na gastusin dahil sa pansamantalang pagtigil sa kanilang hanapbuhay (Operators of lotto outlets and thousands of employees need not worry where they will get the income for their living expenses due to the temporary suspension of their source of livelihood),” Angara said.

He expressed confidence that President Duterte will deliver on his vow to crack down on corruption within the PCSO to plug the leakages and ensure that all funds are being used for benefit of the Filipino people.

Suportado po natin ang Pangulo sa giyera laban sa korapsyon at mga katiwalian sa pamahalaan (We support the President in his fight against corruption in the government),” he added.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Duterte lifted the suspension on the advice of Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea.

“Franchise holders and operators of lotto outlets may now resume with their operations. The lifting of the suspension of lotto operations takes effect immediately,” Panelo said in a statement.

However, Panelo said the rest of all gaming operations with franchises, licenses or permits granted by PCSO such as Small-Town Lottery (STL), Keno and Peryahan ng Bayan (PNB), shall remain suspended pending the investigation on corrupt practices.

In his statement, Medialdea said investigators “found no anomalies in the conduct of its operation, its sanctity remained untainted and proper regulatory rules followed”.

Last week, Duterte ordered all gaming activities of the PCSO, including lotto, STL, and Peryahan ng Bayan, to stop due to “massive corruption”.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website.

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...