PNP cries foul over PH tag as ‘dangerous’ place for land rights

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan/Philippine News Agency

PNP chief, Gen. Oscar Albayalde. (File photo)

MANILA — The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Wednesday refuted a Britain-based watchdog’s claims alleging that the Philippines is the most dangerous place for land and environmental activists.

PNP chief, Gen. Oscar Albayalde said the PNP takes strong exception to the labeling done by Global Witness of the country as a deadly nation for land rights.

He said land disputes have always been a perennial source of conflict among people, and this has been among several motives behind some homicides investigated by the PNP.

“Let me assure that every incident of violence stemming from whatever motive is promptly investigated by the police with utmost priority,” Albayalde said in a statement sent to reporters.

“The reality is that the activities of the local communist movement in the countryside is also a factor in this armed conflict over land rights, and many tribal leaders, community officials and government security forces have died protecting land rights against insurgents who want to place these communities under their control,” he stressed.

In its report, Global Witness said 164 land and environmental activists were killed in the country in 2018.

This number, it said, includes the nine sugarcane farmers who were gunned down in Sagay City, Negros Occidental in October last year.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website.

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...