Maguindanao farmers to benefit from solar dryer projects

DATU PIANG, Maguindanao — Some 3,000 farmers here stand to benefit from two multi-purpose solar drying pavements worth Php400, 000 each, which the autonomous regional government provided to farmers’ cooperatives.

On Wednesday, the Humanitarian and Development Assistance Program – Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (HDAP-ARMM) turned over two units of post-harvest facilities for Barangays Poblacion and Dato, both in Datu Piang.

Sonora Dagadas, Datu Piang municipal agriculture officer, said the new drying facilities would directly benefit as many as 3,000 farmers not only from this town but from other areas in the province as well.

“All farmers can use this facility, cost effective and helpful to small farmers. Also, it would mean more profits,” Dagadas said.

The beneficiaries are members of cooperatives who own lands where the solar drying pavements are constructed.

“We used to go to other areas to dry our palay and corn crops and that would mean more expenses. Now that dryer is here, we can save and increase our profit,” Saida Ungkakay, 60, chair of the Farmers Association Cooperative in Barangay Poblacion, said.

Started in 2016, the two projects were completed late last year and officially turned over to the beneficiaries.

In a statement, HDAP-ARMM said 18 other solar drying units were also built in the towns of Talayan, Guindulungan, Datu Saudi Ampatuan, Shariff Saydona Mustapha, and Mamasapano.

The new drying facilities were scheduled for turnover to farmer-beneficiaries this week, HDAP-ARMM said.

HDAP-ARMM was created to address the needs and provide immediate interventions to families in areas affected by violent encounters between the military and rebels in previous years. (Edwin Fernandez/PNA)

Popular

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...

Palace: PBBM has no personal knowledge of DPWH ‘leadership fund’

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has no personal knowledge of the so-called “leadership fund” in the Department...