More Maguindanao LGUs give up loose firearms

Surrendered firearms from Shariff Saydona Mustapha, Maguindanao. (Photo by 6ID)

CAMP SIONGCO, Maguindanao — Responding to massive calls by the military to help in the disarmament campaign on loose firearms, a lady mayor in the province on Tuesday turned over 22 assorted war materials to the Army.

Mayor Bai Zandria Ampatuan of Shariff Saydona Mustapha, handed over the firearms to Brig. Gen. Diosdado Carreon, Army’s 601st Brigade commander and Lt. Colonel Edgar Catu, 40th Infantry Battalion chief, during ceremonies held at the town covered court.

Ampatuan said the firearms were collected by the local government through massive campaign in all the town’s villages.

Carreon said he was glad that town mayors responded to Army call as prescribed by Order No. 1 of the Martial Law declaration.

This month alone, Datu Piang town officials surrendered 16 firearms over the weekend, 15 were surrendered by Ampatuan town officials and another 16 from the town of Datu Abdullah Sangki leaders, all in Maguindanao.

Maj. Gen. Arnel dela Vega, Army’s 6th Infantry Division (6ID) commander, said that the cooperation of the local chief executives who have previously surrendered firearms under their jurisdiction have urged other municipalities to also peacefully surrender their weapons.

“The growing number of unlicensed guns surrendered to the 6ID has greatly contributed to the disarmament campaign of the government,” he stressed.

Since January this year, a total of 360 assorted loose firearms were so far turned over to the military in Maguindanao. (PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...