Manila court convicts 10 fratmen in Atio Castillo hazing death

GUILTY. The Manila Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 11 on Tuesday (Oct. 1, 2024) sentences 10 members of the Aegis Juris fraternity for the killing of University of Santo Tomas (UST) law student Horacio “Atio” Castillo III in 2017 due to hazing. They were sentenced to up to 40 years imprisonment for the death of UST law student Horatio “Atio” Castillo lll. (Photo courtesy of Ben Pulta/PNA)

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency

The Manila Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 11 on Tuesday sentenced 10 fraternity members implicated in the 2017 death of University of Santo Tomas (UST) law student Horacio “Atio” Castillo III to up to 40 years in prison and ordered them to pay more than P600,000 in damages.

Found guilty were Aegis Juris Fraternity members Arvin Balag, Mhin Wei Chan, Axel Hipe, Oliver Onofre, Joshua Macabali, Ralph Trangia, John Ramos, Jose Miguel Salamat, Daniel Hans Rodrigo, and Marcelino Bagtang Jr.

“The untimely death of Atio caused pain, agony, anxiety, suffering and mental anguish to his heirs because it deprived them [of] his company, love, support and companionship,” Presiding Judge Shirley Pagalilauan said in her ruling.

Castillo’s parents thanked the government and private prosecutors, as well Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla for the prompt handling of the high-profile case.

The case had been filed for violation of Republic Act (RA) 8049 or the original Anti-Hazing Law of 1995, which was enacted following the hazing death of Ateneo Law School student Lenny VIlla.

The law was subsequently amended after the incident involving Castillo.

UST Faculty of Civil Law Dean Nilo Divina, meanwhile, said he continues to extend his heartfelt sympathies and prayers to Castillo’s family.

He, however, said he respectfully disagrees with the statement of Mrs. Carmina Castillo that UST and the Faculty of Civil Law failed in their duty to protect her son.

“The university and the faculty have always implemented and upheld policies that promote the safety and welfare of all students. Unfortunately, no institution is spared from the actions of individuals who choose to disregard these measures. We remain committed to ensuring a safe environment and continuously improve our efforts to prevent a repetition of such tragedy,” Divina said in a statement.

Meanwhile, Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian welcomed the Manila RTC’s ruling.

“The road to justice has been long and challenging, especially for Atio’s family who waited seven years for this day to come, but today marks a victory for the rule of law against the evil of hazing,” Gatchalian said in a separate statement.

He recalled that Castillo’s death pushed lawmakers to pass the Anti-Hazing Act (RA 11053).

But Gatchalian pointed out that hazing still exists despite the law’s passage.

From 2014 to 2024, the senator said 17 deaths from hazing were reported, the latest of which was Ren Joseph Bayan, an 18-year-old student in Jaen, Nueva Ecija who died from hazing injuries on Sept. 29.

“Alongside the pursuit of justice for other hazing victims, we must also ensure that our institutions, including schools and law enforcement agencies, work diligently to eliminate hazing,” Gatchalian said, challenging authorities to ensure that no more Filipinos will die due to this senseless violence. (With a report from Wilnard Bacelonia/PNA)

Popular

PBBM cites need to promote Filipino food for ‘experiential tourism’

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday emphasized the importance of promoting Filipino native delicacies and cuisines...

Gov’t measures vs. inflationary pressures effective — NEDA

By Kris Crismundo and Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News Agency Government efforts to control inflation are showing results as the country’s inflation rate continued to...

Palace lauds rude Russian vlogger’s arrest; persona non grata declaration looms

By Filane Mikee Cervantes | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Friday lauded law enforcement agencies for their swift action in arresting Russian-American vlogger Vitaly Zdorovetskiy,...

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...