MMDA to LGUs: Designate fireworks display zones

LIGHTS AND COLORS. Cavite welcomes the new year on Saturday with one of several fireworks displays in Dasmariñas City. The Covid-19 pandemic will mark its second year in March with still no end in sight despite the vaccines. (PNA photo by Avito Dalan)

Philippine News Agency

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has renewed its call to the local government units (LGUs) in Metro Manila to designate fireworks display zones in their areas for the New Year revelry.

MMDA acting chair Don Artes said doing so would provide a safer environment during the holiday celebration.

“Setting up a common fireworks display zone can prevent or lessen fireworks-related injuries. Open spaces or common areas can be designated as fireworks display zones,” he said.

During a recent Metro Manila Council meeting, Artes and the Metro Manila mayors discussed the reiteration of MMDA Resolution 22-22 Series of 2022, exhorting the LGUs to set up a fireworks display zone about Republic Act No. 7183 which regulates the sale, manufacture, distribution, and use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices.

“It is a tradition to use firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices during the holiday season. There is undeniably a significant number of firecracker-related injuries, casualties, and accidental fires recorded every year in Metro Manila related to the indiscriminate and unregulated use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices,” cited in the resolution.

Health authorities also urged Metro Manila LGUs to promote the Department of Health’s “Ligtas Christmas sa Healthy Pilipinas”, which has three components — Healthy Handaan (feast), Healthy Celebration and Iwas Paputok (avoiding use of firecrackers) in their areas.

Artes also reminded the public to dispose of garbage, particularly used and unused firecrackers, properly during the welcoming of New Year.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...