Monkeypox virus detected in Portugal less aggressive, researcher says

Xinhua News Agency

LISBON — The monkeypox virus circulating in Portugal belongs to a less aggressive lineage spreading in West Africa, the National Institute of Health Doctor Ricardo Jorge said Tuesday, May 24.

The research team of Joao Paulo Gomes, head of the Bioinformatics Unit of the Institute’s Department of Infectious Diseases, has completed the genome-sequencing of the monkeypox virus spreading in the country, Gomes told Lusa news agency.

The virus in Portugal “is more closely related to the monkeypox virus from Nigeria,” which was detected in 2018 and 2019 in countries, including Britain, Israel, and Singapore, the expert said, noting that there is another more aggressive lineage of monkeypox circulating in Central Africa.

“In theory, it evolves more than we expected. Eventually, we will be able to see that these genomic traits may be associated with greater transmissibility, we don’t know yet,” he said.

Although “there is no reason for concern,” the microbiologist called on countries “to act, to block the chains of transmission, to carry out strong surveillance and quickly dismiss all suspected cases.”

Monkeypox is a rare disease, which can spread through direct contact with bodily fluids or through contact with contaminated clothes or bed sheets.

Portugal has so far confirmed 39 cases, with all patients aged between 27 and 61, most of them under 40 years old.

As of Tuesday, there were 131 monkeypox cases and 106 suspected cases in 19 countries outside of Africa, since the first case was reported on May 7, according to the World Health Organization. – gb

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...