Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

LEFT IN RUINS. Workers wearing hazmat suits spray disinfectant to sterilize the rubble of a collapsed building in Mandalay on Wednesday (April 2, 2025), five days after a 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck central Myanmar. (Photo courtesy: Sai Aung Main / AFP)

By Agence France-Presse

The head of Myanmar’s junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from his country’s devastating earthquake passed 3,000.

Min Aung Hlaing will join a BIMSTEC gathering—the seven littoral nations of the Bay of Bengal—where he will raise the response to Friday’s magnitude 7.7 quake that has flattened buildings across the country.

Many nations have sent aid and teams of rescue workers to Myanmar since the quake, but heavily damaged infrastructure and patchy communications—as well as the country’s rumbling civil war—have hampered efforts.

Myanmar has been engulfed in a brutal multi-sided conflict since 2021, when Min Aung Hlaing’s military wrested power from the civilian government of Aung San Suu Kyi.

Following reports of sporadic clashes even after the recent earthquake, the junta on Wednesday joined its opponents in calling a temporary halt to hostilities to allow relief to be delivered.

AFP journalists saw hectic scenes on Wednesday in the city of Sagaing—less than 15 kilometers (nine miles) from the epicenter—as hundreds of desperate people lined up for the distribution of emergency supplies.

Roads leading to the city were packed with traffic on Thursday, with many of the vehicles part of aid convoys organized by civilian volunteers and adorned with banners saying where they had been sent from across Myanmar.

Destruction in Sagaing is widespread, with the World Health Organization (WHO) reporting that one in three houses have collapsed.

Nearly a week after the quake, locals have complained of a lack of help.

“We have a well for drinking water, but we have no fuel for the water pump,” Aye Thikar told AFP.

“We also don’t know how long we will be without electricity,” she said.

The 63-year-old nun has been helping distribute relief funds to those left without basic amenities by Friday’s quake.

But many people are still in need of mosquito nets and blankets, forced to sleep outside by the tremors that either destroyed their homes or severely damaged them.

“People passing by on the road have generously donated water and food to us. We rely solely on their kindness,” she said.

Eyes on summit

All the main leaders from the seven members of the BIMSTEC—Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Thailand—are expected to attend the Bangkok summit.

Host country Thailand has proposed that the leaders issue a joint statement on the impact of the disaster when they meet on Friday—a week on from the day the quake struck.

Min Aung Hlaing’s attendance is something of a diplomatic coup for Myanmar’s isolated government, as the summit breaks with a regional policy of not inviting junta leaders to major events.

His expected arrival in the Thai capital comes as the death toll from last week’s earthquake surpasses 3,000 people, according to junta figures.

A statement from a junta spokesperson said Thursday that 3,085 deaths had been confirmed, with 341 people still missing and 4,715 injured.

Rescue and aid workers had arrived from 17 countries, Myanmar’s information minister Zaw Min Tun added, with nearly 1,000 tonnes of supplies and relief materials.

“We have been continuing search-and-rescue work; we would like to express special gratitude for the hard work of the international community and medical teams,” he said.

Bangkok, hundreds of kilometers from the epicenter of the quake, also suffered isolated damage.

The death toll in the city has risen to 22, with more than 70 still unaccounted for at the site of a building collapse.

A 30-story skyscraper—under construction at the time—was reduced to a pile of rubble in a matter of seconds when the tremors hit, trapping dozens of workers.

Rescuers are still scouring the immense pile of debris, but the likelihood of finding more survivors is diminishing.

Bangkok governor Chadchart Sittipunt said in a Thursday morning livestream that he was “hoping for a miracle but [doesn’t] expect too much, as there’s a high chance of disappointment too.”

Popular

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...

Russian vlogger harassing Filipinos nabbed

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Authorities arrested a Russian-American vlogger who was accused of harassing Filipinos apparently for social media content. Philippine National...