Navy disaster teams conduct rescue ops for ‘Maring’ victims

By Priam Nepomuceno / Philippine News Agency  

The Philippine Navy’s Naval Forces Northern Luzon (NFNL) has deployed two disaster response and rescue teams (DDRTs) to areas in the Ilocos region that were affected by Severe Tropical Storm Maring.

In a statement late Tuesday (Oct. 12), NFNL Public Affairs Office Chief Lt. Madel Ladera said the DRRT 1’s 11 personnel assisted the regional Office of Civil Defense (OCD) and were dispatched to conduct road clearing operations in Barangay Pallogan, Tagudin, Ilocos Sur and hauling and distribution of relief goods in Bgy. Pudoc in the same town.

Meanwhile, the DRRT 2’s team of divers, equipped with rubber boats and outboard motor, was deployed to Bgy. Sucoc Sur, Luna, La Union to conduct rescue operations.

“Navy reservists from Baguio City also were augmented to the CDRRMC (City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council) Baguio City for the evacuation, search, and retrieval of victims flooding and landslide in Barangay M. Roxas, Baguio City,” Ladera said.

The DRRT of the Marine Battalion Landing Team 10 stationed in Bgy. Aridowen, Sta. Teresita, Cagayan also evacuated 35 families from the village’s Purok 1, 2, and 3 to the Aridowen Elementary School.

“The Northern Luzon Command, through the NFNL, is one with the local government units in bringing prompt, responsive, and effective assistance to the communities affected by the typhoon amid the ongoing pandemic,” Ladera said.

‘Maring’-affected families climb to 4,528

Severe Tropical Storm Maring has so far affected 4,528 families in four regions, the country’s disaster response agency said Tuesday night.

In an update, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said this is equivalent to 19,147 persons from 122 villages in the Cagayan Valley, Mimaropa, Caraga, and Cordillera regions.

Of this number, about 728 families or 3,221 individuals are residing in 23 evacuation centers while the rest have either returned home or are taking shelter with family and friends.

The NDRRMC added that they are validating reports of 11 deaths, three injured, and seven missing due to the onslaught of Maring.

One of the fatalities is from Claveria, Cagayan; four from Narra, Palawan; five from Benguet; and one from Baguio City.

Meanwhile, five have been reported missing in Palawan and two in Baguio City.

The reported injuries are also from Baguio City.

The NDRRMC also reported that a total of 1,106 passengers, 537 rolling cargoes, and two ships were stranded in Eastern Visayas and Caraga. (PNA) – jlo

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...