NBI joins manhunt for killer of Cavite deputy prosecutor

By Benjamin Pulta / Philippine News Agency

MANILA – The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) will step into the killing of a prosecutor who was gunned down in front of his house in Trece Martires City, Cavite on Friday (Dec. 31).

Department of Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra, in a text message to reporters, said “the tragic death of Assistant City Prosecutor Edilbert Mendoza clearly demonstrates the risk to life that our prosecutors face in the performance of their duties.”

He said he has directed the NBI to join in the manhunt and apprehension of the perpetrators of the “treacherous crime” while Prosecutor General Benedicto Malcontento said they are monitoring the developments.

Mendoza, 48, sustained gunshot wounds to the head outside his residence at Elysian Field Subdivision in Barangay Cabuco, according to initial reports.

The police report said the still unidentified male gunman fled on foot. (PNA) -ag

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...