NegOcc still 2nd most popular tourism spot in Western Visayas

BACOLOD CITY — Negros Occidental, including its capital city of Bacolod, remained as the region’s second most popular tourism location, following Aklan province which includes the island of Boracay.

Data released by the Department of Tourism (DOT) Region 6 showed that Negros Occidental and Bacolod City have combined tourist arrivals of 1.72 million, or 29 percent of Western Visayas’ total visitors, last year.

Aklan last year had 2.2 million visitors, cornering 38 percent of the region’s tourist market.

Negros Occidental alone registered 892,199 in tourist arrivals; while Bacolod, one of the two highly-urbanized cities in Western Visayas, posted a total of 831,687 tourists.

In 2016, Negros Occidental, together with Bacolod City, was also in second spot with 1.65 million in tourist arrivals.

DOT-Western Visayas Regional Director Helen Catalbas said the region hit 5.85 million in domestic, foreign and overseas Filipino worker arrivals in 2017.

During the period, Region 6 generated about PHP128 billion in tourism receipts.

Cristine Mansinares, provincial supervising tourism operations officer, earlier said majority of the tourists visited the cities of Bacolod, Sipalay, San Carlos, Kabankalan, Cadiz and Talisay, and municipality of Murcia.

These places have beach resorts and nature offerings, aside from festivals such as Bacolod’s MassKara, San Carlos’ Pintaflores, Kabankalan’s Sinulog and Cadiz’s Dinagsa which draw big crowds every year.

Mansinares said the increase in the province’s tourist arrivals could also be attributed to its hosting of meetings, incentives, conventions and exhibitions in the past year.

In July 2017, Negros Occidental was also identified as the second most visited place in the country by Filipino domestic travelers, next only to National Capital Region, based on the results of the 2016 Household Survey on Domestic Visitors (HSDV) released by the Philippine Statistics Authority and Department of Tourism. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...