Netizens urged to help check internet speed through app

TACLOBAN CITY — The region’s business group has encouraged the public to use a mobile application to help monitor the status of internet connectivity in Eastern Visayas.

Oliver Cam, private sector representative to the Regional Development Council (RDC), said they had been seeking support from different sectors to raise public awareness on the benefits of using project BASS (bandwidth and signal strength).

“This is a crowd source monitoring tool that will measure the signal strength of a mobile carrier in an area and compile the local data available that would help improve the internet speed in the country,” Cam said on Thursday.

The project’s primary aim is to inform the telecommunication companies which areas need improvement, especially with the internet speed, which has been a big issue in the country, the businessman added.

“If the information and communication technology infrastructure in the country will improve, it will reduce poverty incidence since internet speed has a direct impact to poverty based on studies conducted from 2007 to 2010 in four Eastern African countries,” Cam said.

The concept of the use of the Project BASS application is based on the principle of Hawthorne Effect which is the tendency to perform or perceive differently when one knows they are being observed, Cam said.

“Using this principle will help the telecommunication companies to take steps on improving their services as they are aware that their performance are being observed and measured,” he told the Philippine News Agency.

He also encouraged the local government units and government agencies to use the application to further improve their projects.

The developers are working for the Windows version of the app so that installation will be available for laptops and desktop computers.

The project will be presented in future meetings of RDC and sectoral committees, added Cam . (Sarwell Meniano/PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...