Nothing wrong with OSG helping prepare Bikoy’s affidavit

By Azer Parrocha/Philippine News Agency

MANILA – Malacañang on Wednesday defended the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) from criticism for helping the Philippine National Police (PNP) prepare the sworn statement of Peter Joemel Advincula or “Bikoy”, as part of evidence in the complaint filed against opposition members for their alleged involvement in the “Ang Totoong Narcolist” videos.

Presidential Spokesperson and Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo explained that the PNP merely “consulted” the OSG in preparing the sworn statement.

“It is mandated under the law to counsel, to give lawyering activities to any of the offices when its office is consulted. So in this particular case I talked with SolGen earlier and he said that PNP sought its advice on the matter so the draft was sent to them for review,” Panelo said in an interview with reporters.

“The SolGen is the lawyer of the Republic of the Philippines and all his clients are all offices and agencies of the government,” Panelo said.

The OSG earlier clarified that its client is the PNP and not Advincula, whose legal counsel is lawyer Larry Gadon.

Panelo further stressed that there was nothing wrong with the setup since it is only part of procedure for the PNP to submit such cases to authorities.

“There was a complainant, correct? And he (Advincula) went to the PNP and the PNP investigated the case and it is also procedural for the PNP to submit the case either within the part of the justice or proper authority with respect to any complaint filed by any private complainant,” Panelo said.

“So it’s still regular, procedural. Procedurally correct,” he added.

Unaware

Panelo also emphasized that President Rodrigo Duterte is not aware of the SolGen’s move to assist in the preparation of the sworn statement.

“No, I was not even aware, I had to ask him. Di naman interesado si Presidente sa mga ganun (The President is not interested on matters concerning that),” Panelo said.

“He makes the departments and the offices function on their own without any interference coming from him. He only does it when there is a charge of corruption,” he added.

The case stemmed from the Totoong Narcolist videos, which showed a hooded figure tagging President Rodrigo Duterte’s family and allies in the illegal drug trade.

Advincula later bared that these videos were produced by members of the opposition to discredit administration candidates and back opposition senatorial bets in the May 13 midterm elections.

In its complaint, the PNP-CIDG accused Vice President Leni Robredo and 34 other individuals of sedition, inciting to sedition, cyber libel, libel, estafa, and harboring a criminal and obstruction of justice charges.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

  

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...