Oct. 30 declared a special non-working day for barangay, SK polls

POLL PERIOD STARTS. Aspiring candidates from Quezon City file their certificates of candidacy (COCs) for the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections (BSKE) at the Amoranto Sports Complex in Quezon City on Monday (Aug. 28, 2013). The filing of COCs signals the start of the election period. (PNA photo by Joey O. Razon)

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has declared Oct. 30, a Monday, a special non-working day to allow Filipinos to cast their votes in the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections (BSKE).

“It is imperative that the people be given the full opportunity to participate in the said elections and exercise their right of suffrage,” according to his proclamation, which was made public on Wednesday.

The Supreme Court has greenlighted the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to proceed with the conduct of the BSKE scheduled on Oct. 30, 2023, as previously provided for under Republic Act (RA) 11935.

RA 11935, signed by Marcos on Oct. 10 last year, moves the holding of BSKE from Dec. 5, 2023 to the last Monday of October 2023.

On Oct. 9, the Comelec said it is almost a hundred percent done in its preparation for the polls, noting that it targets to finish the delivery of all accountable forms nationwide this week.

The Comelec is also scheduled to have its final briefing for the upcoming BSKE on Oct. 20.

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...