OCTA: NCR positivity rate now at 14%

By Civ Alonzo-Cruz

The OCTA Research group revealed on Thursday night (Dec. 30) that the COVID-19 positivity rate of the National Capital Region (NCR) is now at 14%. They also projected at least more than 2,000 cases could be recorded nationwide on New Year’s Eve.

In his Twitter account, OCTA Research fellow Dr. Guido David said the country’s positive cases could reach 2,500 on Friday (Dec. 31) and will likely continue to increase.

“More than 2,000 new [positive] cases are possible on Dec. 31, with more than 2,500 new cases nationwide,” David said.

“The rate of increase is dramatic, and we should really comply strictly with minimum public health standards and reduce social and mass gatherings,” he added.

The OCTA Research group said on Thursday that the NCR is already at a moderate risk level after its COVID-19 reproduction rate increased to 1.47 from the previous 0.51.

Malacañang also announced on Thursday that the country’s level classification will remain at Alert Level 2 until Jan. 15, 2022.

However, the government expressed their reservations in changing the level classification of the country, even without completing the 15 days given by the government, if the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) sees a surge in the number of COVID-19 cases.

“Hindi po bawal na mag-increase tayo ng alert level sa provinces, highly urbanized cities, [kung] kinakailangan, without even completing iyong 15 days. Nasa guidelines natin ‘yan, nasa policy po natin ‘yan,” Acting Presidential Spokesperson and Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said.

“Kapag may nakitang spike ang IATF sa isang lugar, puwede tayong mag-increase ng alert level kung tumama siya doon sa parameters natin for an increased alert level. We can accelerate [the alert level] immediately kung kinakailangan,” he added.

Meanwhile, the Department of Health issued a reminder for the public to not be too complacent and still follow the minimum public health standards since we are still living in a pandemic.

“Sa pag-doble ng bilang ng mga naitalang bagong kaso ng COVID-19 sa nakalipas na dalawang araw, hinihikayat ng DOH ang publiko na gawin ang lahat ng ating makakaya upang maiwasan na maging panibagong 2020 ang taong 2022. Lahat tayo ay kumilos ng may lubos na pag-iingat na parang naririto na ang mas nakakahawang Omicron variant,” the DOH statement read. – bny

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...